Profile of Bangladesh Textile Mills Association (BTMA)
Bangladesh Textile Mills association (BTMA) is a national trade organization representing Yarn Manufacturers, Fabric Manufacturers and Textile Product Processing mills of the country under private sector. BTMA has been registered with the Registrar of Joint Stock Companies in 1983 as an Association under the Companies Act, 1994. The followings are its main objectives:-
- To promote and protect the trade and commerce, export and import business of the manufacturers of Bangladesh in general and of the textile related trade in particular.
- To consider question of common interest connected with the trade, commerce and manufactures by its members
- To collect, classify and circulate statistics and information relating to the trade, commerce and manufactures of its members.
- To take all steps which may be necessary for promoting, supporting or opposing legislative and other measures affecting the trade, commerce or manufactures of its members.
- To make representations to the appropriate authorities on any matter connected with the trade, commerce and manufactures of its members.
- To advance and promote commercial and technical education connected with the trade and commerce of its members.
- To undertake special inquiries and initiate or support any action for securing redress of legitimate grievances connected with the trade or commerce of its members.
- To engage in such activities for imports, exports of raw materials, spares and finished products for the collective benefit of the members of the Association.
- To take any action which may be conducive to the extension of trade and commerce of its members or incidental to the attainment of its objects.
- To organize such fairs and workshops for selling or display products centrally which may be of common benefits for sections which might not be possible or feasible for individual members.
The Association is run by a BOARD OF DIRECTORS comprising of 27 members who are elected from Spinning, Weaving and Dyeing-Printing-Finishing Sub Sectors. BTMA is headed by one President and 3 Vice-Presidents. Board of Directors is elected under the provisions of the Trade Organization Ordinance, 1961 and Rules made thereunder by the Government of Bangladesh. The tenure of BTMA’s Board of Directors is for 2 years. The Association has a Secretariat to look after its activities. It is headed by a Secretary General who is assisted by a number of officials and staffs in the discharge of responsibilities.